Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Enchanted Rock Weekend Getaway

There is nothing like spending time with family. We spent a long weekend with Grandma and Grandpa Hoenerhoff in Fredericksberg this past President's Day holiday weekend. Aunt Wendy and Uncle Bill couldn't make it last minute due to sickness and work responsibilities. They were missed!

After spending time in town shopping and eating we hiked the infamous Enchanted Rock. It is absolutely awesome with it's steaming vernal pools and sparkling granite.The bolders are huge and the view is breath taking.

I did some research and learned that legend states Tonkawa Indians named it Spirit Song Rock, believing a Spanish conquistador cast a spell on it. They believed ghost fires flickered at the top, and they heard weird creaking and groaning, which geologists now say resulted from the rock's heating by day and contracting in the cool night.

The Rock is a huge, pink granite batholith (underground rock formation uncovered by erosion), that rises 425 feet above ground, 1,825 feet above sea level, and covers 640 acres. Humans have visited it for over 11,000 years.

I have to say it was a bit intimidating. I am afraid of heights and felt dizzy most of time, not to mention the winds were really strong that day, but when I saw a little girl in a pink tutu passing me by I got a grip of my fear and made it to the top.

My family had a blast hiking and boldering. The kids and husband, Darrell, steadily hiked to the top while Mom, Dad, and I hung below them as the safety net in case one of them came rolling down. My son, James, was so excited and wanted to run his way up which made me a nervous wreck, but he made it! We stopped and rested about half way up to enjoy the view and drink some water.
Once at the top, the wind was so incredibly strong that we could lean into it and it would keep us up. There was a coin placed in the rock at the highest point.

After all the climbing and hiking we went back to our comfortable B&B and relaxed on the porch enjoying each others company. This was a wonderful mini vacation. Thanks Mom and Dad!!!




No comments: