Saturday, December 3, 2011

Happy Thanksgiving...Gobble, Gobble!!!


We spend every Thanksgiving now in Austin visiting my Mom's side of the family.  It's always good food and good company. I look forward to our family traditions.

One of my favorite's is Dad's Thanksgiving devotion where we all gather round in the living room to hear what he has prepared to say. Thanking the Lord for the incredible love and blessings He has generously showered on this family and His ultimate gift of Jesus.

Then its tradition to sit down together for a great big meal prepared perfectly by Mom and her kitchen helpers.
A long standing family tradition is when Dad carves the turkey.  Mom stands at his side to help with anything he needs. Now these are the simple things... that as I get older... I can appreciate.
Of course we can't forget the family tradition of taking group photos.  Here we have "the cousins." It's always fun to see them and how they have grown. 

Then its tradition to all jump into vehicles and head to the movie theater where we catch whatever popular movie is playing at that moment. Last year was Harry Potter. This year...Jack and Jill?  Well, let's just say it was funny because it was about twins. And we get how funny twins can be...right Nathan and Philip?! Ha!
 
Our newest (but rapidly becoming one of the sweetest) traditions is the "buddy" relationship blooming between Philip and James. For the past couple of years now they hang out and play all day. The two are inseparable pals...priceless!
Another one of our family traditions that I look forward to the most is relaxing with my sister and husband. They are two of the most amazing people. Not only in their professional life, but personally too. My sister and I can be ourselves and talk and laugh.  I miss her and love them so.
This year Thanksgiving was extra special because of two beautiful people, my Grandparents. Oma is the sweetest, caring person I know...hands down!  And Opa is the most knowledgable, experienced person that I know!  I love sitting and listening to stories about his life in the military, travel, and education. I have learned so much from my grandparents and I can only hope that one day, I can give the same beautiful legacy to my own grandchildren and great grandchildren.
And here is where it all started, my family!  I am so thankful to be a part of THIS family.  I love you!
But wait...one last family tradition...A BIRTHDAY PARTY!
 We always get to celebrate Mom's birthday with her because it falls so close to Thanksgiving. This time she had a great idea to take the kids to a bounce house in the neighborhood.  Let's just say Grandma's birthday party was AWESOME!
 
Right down to the birthday cake that Dad "surprised" her with.  Happy Birthday MOM> GMA!!!

No comments: